Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Zaha Hadid Architects

  • Comment

AJ Kiosk submission: Saffet Bekiroglu, associate, and Vishu Bhooshan, architectural assistant, Zaha Hadid Architects

The concept of the kiosk design is based on the continuous loop of the water cycle.

The design is a twisted curve which describes the canopy and collection pool. The canopy performs the task of collecting rain water and also channels it via the structure’s curvilinear geometries to the pool at the base, creating a new public fountain.

With seating integrated within its form, the kiosk becomes a gathering point for the community in addition to its primary function of dispensing drinking water - as with the original Ottoman kiosks of the 17th and 18th centuries, which also incorporated ceramics. Through our kiosk design, we intend to highlight the use of this traditional material within a contemporary design.

The geometry of the ceramic tiles was the driving force in rationalising the form. The kiosk’s surfaces were resolved specifically to incorporate repetitive flat tiles without compromising the design intent, so 93 per cent of the tiling required for the kiosk uses tiles of a single dimension: 50 x 300 mm. The remaining 7 per cent of tiles vary in size to achieve the twist in the form. Tiles are laid with an irregular surface in areas where water will run to further animate the design and display the dynamics of water in motion. Water will circulate throughout the kiosk in all weather conditions.

Drinking fountains are embedded within the primary structural loop of the kiosk at varying heights for adults and children. The cantilevered canopy rises over the seating and drinking fountains on one side of the pool to offer shelter. Alternatively, the seating on the other side of the collection pool is open to the sky.



  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs

AJ Jobs