Restoration specialist Purcell has completed the £10 million renovation of the grade-II listed Radcliffe Infirmary building in Oxford
The infirmary, which opened in 1770, was bought by the University of Oxford in 2003 and has been converted into offices and teaching spaces for the Humanities department and includes libraries for Philosophy and Theology.
The restoration has removed many of the later alterations to the building and improved its environmental performance. Secondary glazing has been added along with energy saving lighting systems, attic and ground floor insulation and low temperature radiators linked to a ground source heat pump.
Externally the building’s stone cladding has been cleaned and repaired with Clipsham stone used to replace the damaged areas.
The overhaul forms part of the masterplan drawn up by Rafael Viñoly Architects for the ‘Radcliffe Quarter’ that will see and the outpatients wing of the hospital redesigned as the Ruskin School of Drawing & Fine Art by Niall McLaughlin Architects, who also recently completed a student accomodation block for Somerville College on the site.
Start on site April 2011
Date of completion August 2012
Gross internal floor area 2,800m²
Total cost £10 million
Form of contract Design and Build
Client University of Oxford Estates Services UAS
Structural engineer URS / Scott Wilson
Services engineer Hoare Lea
Quantity surveyor Gardiner & Theobald
Planning supervisor Turnberry Consulting
Main contractor Laing O’Rourke