Oxford City Council has approved plans by TSH Architects to extend the famous St Edward’s boarding school
The three-phase masterplan will add a new hall, library and academic centre to the eastern range of the Grade II-listed quadrangle and complete the original vision set out at the inauguration of the school’s North Oxford site in 1873.
The first two stages will provide teaching and library accommodation for the co-educational, independent school’s 700 students. A final phase will see the existing 1970s hall replaced by a 1,000-seat assembly hall.
According to Oxford-based TSH Architects, the proposals ’alleviate pressure on the existing Big School, allowing for a sensitive refurbishment [together] with the creation of new formal and informal spaces between the buildings’, including several ’new external courtyards and an internal glass link between the new hall and the rear’ of the main school building.
Initial designs, submitted in July, were amended in November with a number of elements reduced in scale.
Work could start on the approved plans in 2018, subject to funding, and complete the following year.
Type of project New hall, library and academic centre
Client St Edward’s School
Architect TSH Architects
Landscape architect Adams Habermehl
Structural engineer Price & Myers
M&E consultant QODA
Quantity surveyor Bristow Johnson
Theatre Design Consultants Charcoal Blue