National Galleries of Scotland - a non-departmental public body funded by the Scottish Executive - is seeking an architect to redevelop the entire Grade A-listed building.
The building, designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, opened to the public in 1889 and was the brainchild of John Ritchie Findlay, the chief proprietor of the Scotsman. Findlay not only paid for the building but also masterminded its construction.
The project to revamp the gallery - which houses Alexander Nasmyth's portrait of Robert Burns and Sir Henry Raeburn's Sir Walter Scott - is scheduled to start in November, with completion pencilled in for June 2012.
For further details see http://ted.europa.eu