Studio Weave’s timber structure in Aldgate has been dismantled in preparation for its move to the nearby Minories redevelopment
More from: Studio Weave and Architecture 00 join forces
The 11m-high, ‘Paleys upon Pilers’, built from 17m3 of larch, had sat on the Aldgate site since summer 2012.
The project was commissioned by the Worshipful Company of Chartered Architects and marks the spot where Geoffrey Chaucer lived from 1374 to 1386.
The temporary pavilion, which was entered into the 2013 AJ Small Projects Award, was originally intended to be on the site for just three months but had its planning permission extended to one year.
It has now been disassembled and is being stored in a nearby building until the time comes for it to be re-erected at the newly created green space on the 44,500m² mixed-use Minories development.
The ACME-designed development, includes a 20,000m² office building, a 370-room hotel, and an 8,000m² apartment block and is backed by the 4C Hotels Group (AJ 18.06.14).
Studio Weave co-founder Maria Smith confirmed that ‘the aspiration [was] for the Paleys upon Pilers structure to be incorporated into the landscape scheme for the overall Minories redevelopment.’
The AJ Buildings Library
Previous story (AJ 27.07.12)
Studio Weave’s Paleys upon Pilers dismantled