A nursery, a distillery, a cancer care centre and a theatre are among the winners in the 2015 RIAS Awards
Chosen from a shortlist of 24 Scottish schemes, the winning projects included a ‘warm and welcoming’ nursery by Malcolm Fraser Architects, Reiach and Hall’s ‘modest’ Maggie’s Centre in Lanarkshire (AJ 09.09.14), and Page\Park’s new Scottish Opera HQ with its ‘dramatic, sinuous stair’(AJ 29.05.15).
Groves-Raines Architects’ ‘elegantly restored’ Category A-listed historic town house, an ‘unobtrusive contemporary housing development’ by Sutherland Hussey Harris, and Anderson Bell Christie Architects’ Shields Centre (AJ 22.05.15) were also among the winners.
The new Reid Building by Steven Holl Architects and Glasgow-based jmarchitects, which was named AJ100 Building of the Year in 2014, missed out on an accolade.
The awards were judged by RIAS past-president Iain Dickson, Marks Barfield co-founder Julia Barfield, Karen Cunningham, director of next year’s Festival of Architecture, Hugh Dutton of Hugh Dutton Associés and Stuart Goodall, chief executive of Confor.
In the fourth year of the restyled Scottish awards, the winners were then put forward for RIBA Awards, with five winners emerging. All the RIAS Award-winning buildings will now go forward to be considered for Britain’s richest architectural prize, the £25,000 Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award, which will be announced in November.
RIAS Award winners
- Arcadia Nursery, Edinburgh by Malcolm Fraser Architects
- Dalmunach Distillery, Moray by Archial Norr
- Highland Steading, Highlands by Marcus Lee and cameronwebster architects
- Lamb’s House, Edinburgh by Groves-Raines Architects
- Laurieston Transformational Area, Glasgow by Page\Park Architects and Elder and Cannon Architects
- Maggie’s Lanarkshire, Airdrie byReiach and Hall Architects
- The Mill, Southside Steading by WT Architecture
- Regency Dormer, Edinburgh by Konishi Gaffney Architects
- Rosefield, Edinburgh by A449
- The Shields Centre, Glasgow by Anderson Bell + Christie Architects
- Theatre Royal, Glasgow by Page\Park Architects
- West Burn Lane, St Andrews by Sutherland Hussey Harris
Special Award winners
- Scottish Government Scotland’s Client of the Year Award New Gorbals Housing Association for Laurieston Transformational Area by Page\Park Architects and Elder and Cannon Architects
- Wood for Good/Forestry Commission Scotland Award for the Best Use of Timber Arcadia Nursery by Malcolm Fraser Architects
- Historic Scotland Award for Conservation and Climate Change South Beach Medical Centre by Reiach and Hall and Speirs Centre by LDN Architects
- Zero Waste Scotland’s Resource Efficiency Award Arcadia Nursery by Malcolm Fraser Architects
Revealed: Winners of RIAS Awards 2015