Schemes by Make, Orms, and Evans Vettori are among the six winners of RIBA East Midlands Regional Awards
Chosen from a shortlist of eleven, the triumphant projects include the ‘high quality and sensitive’ Richard III visitor centre by Maber, an ‘understated’ yoga studio in Hathersage by Studio Gedye, and Evans Vettori’s Parkside building in Matlock which the judges said was ‘utterly of its place’.
The region’s top award went to Orms’ science centre at Uppingham School in Rutland. The scheme was praised by the judges for its ‘presence of calm and order’ which was ‘invigorated with a sense of fun and animation that brings the whole to life’.
The £15 million scheme also bagged Orms’ Colin McColl the region’s Project Architect of the Year Award while its client – Uppingham School – was awarded Client of the Year.
Make Architects picked up the East Midland region’s sustainability award for its new student centre at the University of Nottingham’s Sutton Bonington site, while the Small Project Award went to a new family home in Leicester by Feldmann Architects.
Andy Thomas, RIBA East Midlands regional jury chair, said: ‘The awards have demonstrated a high calibre of architecture in the region that must be an inspiration and aspiration to all architects and clients alike - and so raise the bar in all areas of our built environment.
‘A key theme that kept repeating through all the best entries was that of collaboration. Good design cannot happen in isolation and where the client, architect and building contractor have created and maintained an open conversation, allowing all parties to reimagine and craft a place, it has really shone through.
‘This conversation must also occur between the design and its location. Every scheme was of its place and worked to enrich and bring joy to its surroundings and to be sustainable for future generations. Finally, and most importantly, every scheme, no matter its size, use or budget, made us smile.’
RIBA East Midlands Award winners
- King Richard III Visitor Centre, Leicester by Maber
- Parkside, Matlock by Evans Vettori Architects
- Knighton Drive, Leicester by Feldmann Architects
- The Barn, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington by Make Architects
- Uppingham School Science Centre, Rutland by Orms
- Hope Valley Yoga Studio, Hathersage by Studio Gedye
RIBA East Midlands Regional Awards Winners
Special Awards winners
- Project Architect of the Year Colin McColl Orms
- Client of the Year Uppingham School for Uppingham School Science Centre
- Building of the Year Uppingham School Science Centre by Orms
- Sustainability Award The Barn, University of Nottingham by Make Architects
- Small Project Award Knighton Drive by Feldmann Architects
Regional winners will be put forward for the RIBA National Awards, with the lucky recipients announced in June. Those collecting national awards will then be considered for the 2015 RIBA Stirling Prize.