Paul Ashton Architects has won outline planning permission to convert a former Carmelite Monastery in Liverpool into a new respite centre and hospice
The 6,300m² scheme for regional children’s charity Claire House will create a new C-shaped block around the existing 1906 building at Honey’s Green Lane in West Derby, which was previously occupied by Carmelite Sisters until they moved to a purpose-built home in Maryton Grange in early 2013.
The project will provide 12 hospice beds, together with three family support suites, facilities for supporting staff, and offices.
According to the practice, which has worked alongside architects and project managers HBMA, the key design driver was to cluster all the new development around the retained core of the existing monastery, keeping ‘as much of the gardens, and as many of the trees as possible’.
Project architect Paul Ashton said: ‘The Carmelite Sisters were an enclosed order, and this sense of separation was expressed in the architecture of the original building. This was at odds with the way in which Claire House operates.
’The first stage was to critically appraise the existing building to establish what elements could be retained and what elements needed to be removed in order to make the site work for Claire House. We needed to unlock a site that had been inward-looking for 100 years and open it up to the wider community.’
150 site plan
Location West Derby, Liverpool
Type of project Conversion and extension of existing monastery
Client Claire House
Architect Paul Ashton Architects with HBMA
Planning consultant HBMA
Project manager Ridge
Quantity surveyor HBMA
Planning supervisor HBMA
Funding Charitable fundraising by Claire House
Gross internal floor area 6,300m²
Form of contract tbc
Total cost tbc