Patel Taylor has revealed plans to add a ‘pavilion-style’ arts pavilion to St George’s concert hall in Bristol
The building, which just received £775,000 in Heritage Lottery Funding, will act as a quiet retreat during intervals in performances and a welcoming outside space for festivals and events.
The 740m2 glass and stone extension will also house a café and bar providing views across the gardens of the former church.
St George’s was originally built as a church in 1823 and was transformed into a concert venue in the seventies after a period of neglect.
The architect’s view
‘A multi-purpose, double-height space with a glass entrance establishes a new dynamic presence for St George’s to the south on Great George Street, previously partially concealed and hidden on one side by tall walls, gates and car parking.
‘Constructed in glass and stone, this new space will become a striking and contemporary addition to the core historic structure of St George’s.
‘The ground floor of the pavilion is level with the crypt level of the former church, whilst stone steps allow visitors to ascend through the entrance to meet the historic building in a newly created access point to the existing auditorium space. The restrained stone construction and extensive use of glass establishes a distinct but complimentary identity within an historic setting.
‘New and easily legible visitor entrances with step-free access directly into the main hall for the first time will also be completed together with the remodelling of all backstage and artist facilities and new education and workshop spaces.’
Location Brandon Hill, Bristol
Type of project cultural
Client St George’s Bristol
Architect Patel Taylor
Project manager Sallie Blanks
Structural engineer Buro Happold
M&E consultant Buro Happold
Acoustician Charcoal Blue
Quantity surveyor Mildred Howells
Funding £775,000 Heritage Lottery Fund, £2.75 million Arts Council
Gross internal floor area 740m2 (new extension)
Total cost £5.5 million