Panter Hudspith Architects has converted a Victorian church and schoolhouse in East Dulwich, London into a new 850m2 cinema
Originally built in 1882, the existing structure had been ‘blighted by an unsympathetic conversion’ in the 1960s.
Panter Hudspith’s £1.2million project has revealed most of the building’s original features and features a large triple-height foyer which links the entrance to a bar and café and on the upper floor.
The 1960’s suspended ceilings have been removed, uncovering the original timber roof trusses, while an additional 53-seat cinema has been housed in a two-storey steel extension to the rear of the schoolhouse.
Location East Dulwich, South East London
Type of project conversion/refurbishment
Client Picturehouse Cinemas
Architect Panter Hudspith Architects
Garden designer Templeman Harrison
Structural engineer Price & Myers
Electrical engineer Lockyer Technical Services
Quantity surveyor W Hiles Partnership
Project manager W Hiles Partnership
Main contractor Kribensis Leisure Contracts
Acoustic consultant Sharps Redmore
Tender date July 2014
Start on site date mid-August 2014
Completion date April 2015
Contract duration 9 months
Gross internal floor area 850m2
Form of contract and/or procurement Traditional
Total cost £1.2 million