Seven teams will battle it out to design the London 2012 Olympic Games’ Handball Arena, one of the final permanent venues on the Olympic Park.
Bligh Voller Nield, Sports Concepts, David Morley Architects, Grimshaw and 3Dreid, who were all included on last week’s Basketball and Fencing Arena shortlist (Wilkinson Eyre, Grimshaw and David Morley vie for Olympic basketball and fencing arenas ), all feature again.Perhaps the biggest surprise of the shortlist is the inclusion of de Rijke Marsh Morgan Architects as a team leader. This is the smallest firm to make the final seven.The full shortlist is as follows:
- Bligh Voller Nield with Patel Taylor, Arup and GHD;
- David Morley Architects with Max Fordham, Buro Happold and Fabrik;
- de Rijke Marsh Morgan Architects with Fulcrum Consulting, Michael Hadi Associates and Vector Foiltec;
- Grimshaw Architects with SKM Anthony Hunts and Buro Happold;
- Make architects with PTW Architects and Arup;
- Schmidt Hammer Lassen with Arup and Royal Haskoning UK; and
- Sports Concepts with 3DReid Architecture and Faber Maunsell.
The ODA’s director of design, Alison Nimmo, said: ‘We are looking for a Handball Arena design that enhances the experience of the Games and the Olympic Park as well as providing a sustainable legacy for elite and local sport.’This is an impressive shortlist for the design of one of the key permanent London 2012 venues.’by Richard Vaughan