Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Make drops plans for Canary Wharf skyscraper

Make's proposed residential tower at 225 Marsh Wall - as of September 2015
  • Comment

Ken Shuttleworth’s practice Make has withdrawn its planning application for a 56-storey skyscraper in London’s Docklands

The application from Cubitt Property Holding for 225 Marsh Wall was dropped on Thursday (16 June), just hours before it was set to go in front of Tower Hamlets council’s planning committee.

The scheme had been recommended for refusal by the council’s own planning officers on the grounds that it constituted overdevelopment of the site.

A report from Tower Hamlets’ director of development and renewal said the tower sought to ‘maximise not optimise the development potential of the site’.

The proposed tower would have housed 414 flats, 663m² of commercial space for small businesses, 448m² of flexible office or community space and 307m² of shops.

The residential units were to consist of 326 for private sale, and 88 affordable units made up of 36 intermediate and 52 affordable rented with separate entrances for the private and affordable units.

However, the report drawn up by the borough’s planners warned that the proposed mix of housing was inadequate as it failed to provide enough family-sized accommodation. The 23.7 per cent ‘affordable’ housing was also 11 per cent below the local plan target.

The plans were also thought to ’unacceptably impact’ on the amount of daylight and sunlight on surrounding properties and ’unacceptably affect’ the development potential of sites surrounding 225 Marsh Wall, the report said.

Make declined to comment.

The withdrawal saves London’s new mayor Sadiq Khan from having to make an early decision on the high-rise development. During his mayoral campaign Khan had pledged to force developers to make half their homes affordable to middle and low income earners.

The Marsh Wall site is currently taken up by a four-storey office block - designed by Feilden & Mawson - completed in 1993. In 2010, proposals by Angel Group Architects for a hotel and a 43-storey high apartment block on the plot were rejected. 

Click here for more details about the planning application

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.