Want to realise your pet project? Part 2 and Part 3 students can now enter a competition to win a research bursary worth £2,000 – deadline 3 February
The AJ and Hoare Lea are offering the bursary to support a design or idea which will then be developed alongside an engineer from the leading M&E consultant.
The topic of the project is up to you: you might have an idea for a new tidal power scheme, the future of transportation, or innovative office lighting. Or perhaps you have a solution to sustainable city planning or a radical architectural design that you’re struggling to work out the technical detail for?
Hoare Lea could provide you with engineering advice on M&E, acoustics, audio-visual design, lighting, sustainability, fire engineering, vertical transportation, operational engineering and post-occupancy, security design, and intelligent building design.
The winner of the bursary will have four months to work up their design with input from Hoare Lea’s engineer, and will also be published in the AJ.
In 2015 the AJ/Hoare Lea student bursary was won by Bartlett student Joanne Preston for her proposal to develop an extruded clay tile that behaves as a solar chimney. Among the shortlisted proposals were a bus shelter that reduces pollution and a live project building a bird hide on Rutland Water.
Entry is FREE and the deadline is 3 February. Finalists will be asked to present their projects at Hoare Lea’s offices on 23 February to a judging panel of engineers, architects and members of the AJ editorial team. They will then attend a special finalists’ reception and prize-giving ceremony where the winner will be revealed.
Commenting on the bursary, which is part of the Women in Architecture programme, a spokesperson from Hoare Lea said: ’We are pleased to be able to offer the student bursary as part of our support for the Women in Architecture programme. It gives us a great opportunity to work with young architects, using our engineering experience to help them to deliver their innovative projects.’
- Bursary scheme worth £2,000
- Opportunity to work alongside a Hoare Lea engineer to develop your idea or design
- Winner’s profile will feature in the Architects’ Journal
- Free to enter
- Invitation to finalists’ reception and prize giving on 23 February.
In partnership with
How to enter
- Read the entry criteria - the bursary is open to students enrolled on a Part 2/3 architecture course or those on their Part 2 year out
- Register your details
- Complete the entry form online
- Upload a one-page A3 board (pdf format) containing 500 words describing your project, how the money will be used and how you would collaborate with the engineer to develop your idea.
Please note we can only accept entries via the bursary online portal
Deadline: Friday 3 February
Finalists must be available to attend a judging presentation on 23 February.