Buildings from Heatherwick Studio, OMA and Bjarke Ingels Group are being showcased at the Design Museum alongside Nigeria’s World Cup football kit, a space rocket from Elon Musk and make-up from pop icon Rihanna
The nominations for the Beazley Designs of the Year awards went on display yesterday ahead of an overall winner being chosen on 15 November.
Nineteen of the 87 selected designs are in the architecture category (see below), including projects from India, China, Brazil and Denmark.
Also shortlisted are OMA’s Qatar National Library, Bjarke Ingels Group’s Lego House in Denmark and Jean Nouvel’s Louvre Abu Dhabi.
Smiljan Radic, the designer of the 2014 Serpentine Pavilion, along with Eduardo Castillo and Gabriela Medrano are nominated for the Bío Bío Regional Theatre in Chile.
Other categories include fashion, digital, graphics, transport and products. A reusable space rocket from Elon Musk’s SpaceX is featured, as is an eco-friendly water bottle launched by Hollywood star Will Smith and his son Jaden, under their Just Water label.
The Fenty Beauty foundation range from Umbrella singer Rihanna is also on the list, alongside Nike’s kit for the Nigeria football team’s 2018 World Cup campaign.
Sketches, models, prototypes, videos and photography will be on display at the London museum until early January.
As well as the overall victor, a winner will be selected in each category.
David Adjaye won the grand prize last year for the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington DC.
Architectural projects nominated
- Sustainable Construction and Block Research Group for MycoTree
- Marshall Blecher and Magnus Maarbjerg for Copenhagen Islands
- Matali Crasset for The Common Stove
- Paulo Mendes da Rocha and MMBB Arquitetos for SESC 24 de Maio
- Shu Zhou for Digua Community
- Design Trust Futures Studio for Small is Meaningful
- Rural Urban Framework by Jintai Village Reconstruction
- MAD Architects for Chaoyang Park Plaza
- Heatherwick Studio for Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa
- Jean Nouvel for Louvre Abu Dhabi
- OMA for Qatar National Library
- Kashef Chowdhury / URBANA for Gulshan Society Jame Mosque
- AAU Anastas / Scales and Laboratoire GSA for Stone Matters
- SHAU Indonesia for Microlibrary at Taman Bima
- Amateur Architecture Studio for Fuyang Cultural Complex
- Bijoy Jain of Studio Mumbai for Ganga Maki Textile Studio
- Bjarke Ingels Group for Lego House
- Jenny Sabin Architects for Lumen
- Smiljan Radic, Eduardo Castillo and Gabriela Medrano for Bío Bío Regional Theatre