The AJ has celebrated its 120th anniversary today
The first-ever issue of the AJ was published on the 12 February 1895.
The magazine began as the ‘Builders’ Journal’ and underwent several name changes until it became The Architects’ Journal in 1919.
The inaugural issue cost just one penny and was entitled ‘Men Who Build’.
According to Peter Kent, of the RIBA’s British Architectural Library a complete set of all 120 years of the AJ would cover more than 15m of shelves and weigh 740kg.