Foster + Partners has been named alongside the likes of Morphosis and UNStudio in a contest to design an eco-friendly tourist destination on an artificial island in Haikou Bay in Hainan, China
Ten practices from around the globe are in the running to masterplan the 250ha South Sea Pearl eco-Island, which project-backer and island owner Hainan Airlines Group wants to turn into a ’holiday paradise’, with hotels, apartments, theme parks and docks for two cruise ships.
Teams were asked to develop a strategic vision for the island – currently under construction off the coast of Holiday Beach – which aims to ‘achieve a new urban development based on ecological principles, the best available technologies and an excellent design, creating in this way a landmark for the new urbanism in China’.
A winner will be named at the end of August.
Shortlist in full
- Foster + Partners (UK)
- Morphosis Architects (USA)
- Office of Architecture in Barcelona Carlos Ferrater Partnership (Spain)
- Diller Scofidio + Renfro (USA)
- IROJE Architects & Planners (South Korea)
- UNStudio (Holland)
- KuiperCompagnons (Holland)
- The Jerde Partnership (USA)
- CCDI (China)
- Boston International Design Group (China)
Construction work is expected to start on the project next year and is scheduled to complete in 2027.
Nanhai Pearl artificial island in may 2016 anna frodesiak big