Foster + Partners’ Stirling Prize-shortlisted Bloomberg building in London has been named the UK’s best new office by the British Council for Offices (BCO)
The £1 billion project in the City, the new European headquarters for the software and media giant, picked up both Best Corporate Workplace in the UK and the overall Best of the Best workplace at the BCO’s national awards on Tuesday night (2 October).
The judges described Foster’s building as ’one of the most significant office developments in recent times’, and an ‘exceptional’ workplace for its occupants.
The jury also commended the building’s striking central spiral ramp, designed to promote collaboration and communication among its staff.
The BCO’s Refurbished/ Recycled Workplace award was picked up by AJ100 Building of The Year Here East, designed by Hawkins\Brown. Judges praised it as ’a major contributor to the ongoing regeneration of its locale’.
Allford Hall Mpnaghan Morris’s 39,285m² White Collar Factory in Old Street was also honoured, winning the Innovation award for its ‘ingenuity, creativity and boldness’.
Other winners included Scottish firm Graven’s new HQ for Registers of Scotland in Glasgow, Cartwright Pickard’s Albert Works in Sheffield and Number One Kirkstall Forge in Leeds by Cooper Cromar.
BCO Awards 2018 winners
- Best of the Best and Corporate Workplace Bloomberg, London by Foster + Partners
- Commercial Workplace Number One Kirkstall Forge, Leeds by Cooper Cromar
- Refurbished/ Recycled Workplace Here East, London by Hawkins\Brown
- Innovation White Collar Factory, London by AHMM
- Fit Out of Workplace Registers of Scotland – SVP Platform, Glasgow by Graven
- Projects up to 1,500 Albert Works, Sheffield by Cartwright Pickard
WINNER: Cartwright Pickard’s Albert Works in Sheffield