[FIRST LOOK] Corstorphine + Wright’s £27milion refurbishment of the Council House in Derby has officially been opened
The redeveloped council headquarters retains only the facade of the original building designed by Charles Aslin in the 1930. The existing interior has been completed demolished and a modern office space arranged around a stand-alone circular council chamber inserted into the shell.
Shortlisted for an RIBA Regional Award, the 18,500m² building contains a one-stop shop and office accommodation for 1900 council staff and elected members of the council.
Designed to BREEAM ‘Excellent’ standards to achieve an ‘A +’ rated Energy Performance Certificate the building includes a hydro electrical power plant powered by the River Derwent, as well as an adiabatic cooling system, rainwater harvesting and solar panels.
Start on site Summer 2011
Date of completion December 2012
Gross internal floor area 17,842m²
Total cost £27m
Form of contract NEC
Client Derby City Council
Architect Corstorphine + Wright
Structural engineer Curtins
M&E engineer Hoare Lea and Partners
Quantity surveyor Sense (Mace Group)
Main contractor BAM
Project manager Mace
Interior Design Monteith Scott