Plans to demolish West Ham United FC’s stadium and replace it with a residential scheme by BUJ Architects are set to be thrown out by councillors next week
Earlier this year, London Borough of Newham said that initial proposals submitted last year by developer Galliard Homes to provide just six per cent of 838-home scheme as affordable – with none as social rented - were unacceptable.
And now, planners are recommending refusal of a revised offer to increase the proportion of affordable homes to 22 per cent.
In a report set to go before the council’s strategic development committee on Tuesday (20 October), planners said the proposed redevelopment of the Boleyn Ground failed to meet policy requiring new developments of more than ten to include 35 per cent to 50 per cent affordable housing.
It said: ‘Moreover, the applicant has failed to demonstrate that 22 per cent on-site affordable housing represents the maximum reasonable amount of affordable housing that can be delivered on the site on a viable basis.’
The plans propose 15 new buildings of between three and 13 storeys on the 3.3ha site which will be vacated when the football club moves to its new home in the 2012 Olympic Stadium.
Planners praised the architectural quality of the BUJ designs, saying that all of the homes complied with minimum space standards set down by London mayor Boris Johnson.
It said: ‘The architecture of the proposed development consists of a family of well-proportioned, crisply detailed masonry buildings that provide co-ordinated variety across the site.’
The proposals had been revised after concerns that the ‘horizontality of the uppermost floors clashed with the verticality of the brick grid of the main body of the buildings’.
Despite this, the amount of affordable housing offered has proved a stumbling block, with a study by consultants for the council concluding that the scheme could provide between 25 per cent and 35 per cent affordable housing.