Are you a dynamic, experienced and ambitious reporter? This is your chance to join the AJ’s award-winning news team
The Architects’ Journal is the leading professional publication for the UK’s architectural community – and has been uncovering the most important industry stories for more than 120 years.
Our award-winning, campaigning title has embraced the emergence of new digital platforms and continues to push boundaries in the way it provides creative intelligence for UK architects.
We now have an opportunity for a self-motivated, web-savvy senior reporter to join our news team. We can offer a competitive salary and the opportunity to make a real difference – covering one of the UK’s most inspiring and creative professions.
From the Garden Bridge investigation to our Women in Architecture campaign, the AJ sets the agenda, publishing exclusive news and political opinion through to competitions and tender opportunities, detailed technical information and in-depth building studies.
The ideal candidate will be an ambitious journalist with a successful track record as a reporter. Ideally, you will have knowledge of the architecture or housing sectors. What’s essential, however, is that you are a proven story-getter with a record of securing scoops worthy of national coverage.
The role will also include writing news features – such as analysis pieces, profiles and interviews – for both print and online.
We want a team player able to cover a wide range of topics in-depth – from procurement scandals, to business and political news, to finding out who is designing the nation’s next tallest skyscraper.
Working closely with the news editor, the full-time role will require a willingness to attend and report on events and a desire to swiftly understand what architects need to do their job better and how they win work.
The job is based at EMAP’s offices in London’s vibrant Shoreditch/Old Street area.
Experience of architecture and the built environment is not essential, though an interest in the subject is.
- A driven, proactive, experienced, news-hungry NCTJ-qualified journalist (or equivalent experience)
- The desire to uncover the biggest stories and set the news agenda
- A stickler for accuracy, and the ability to write concise, accurate news stories on tight deadlines
- A solid understanding of media law
- A personable and confident individual eager to get out of the office and make good senior-level contacts at industry events and parties
- Willingness to learn, be flexible and work across different platforms
- Ability to gather news and promote stories on social media
- Ability to write long-form news features and profiles
- Team player and good communicator, with a passion for original journalism and campaigns that make a difference
- An interest in architecture and the built environment and its social, political and economic drivers
Deadline: Wednesday, 24 January 2018
If you are interested in finding out more, please send your CV and three examples of your best work to firstname.lastname@example.org