Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Chapman Taylor's Bath shopping centre is hit by fire

  • Comment

A fire has ripped through Chapman Taylor Architects’ unfinished £360 million Southgate shopping centre in Bath.

Witnesses reported seeing flames soaring 16m into the sky just after 5pm yesterday evening (23 September) as well as hearing a series of explosions, thought to be gas blasts.

The inferno caused two streets to be evacuated, while nine streets were later closed as fire crews attempted to douse the flames.

Despite the fire the developer behind the project, Multi, hoped to be back on site in just two days.

Although the exact cause of the blaze has yet to be confirmed, a spokesman for Multi said: ‘It is believed the fire was due to a failure of an asphalt heater, which leaked hot asphalt, causing gas bottles to explode.’

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs


Do you want the latest jobs emailed to you?
Sign up for job alerts.

AJ Jobs