A team of architects led by Chapman Taylor has submitted plans to double the size of Salford’s MediaCity UK
The practice is working with six other firms, including Sheppard Robson, AHR Architects, Hodders + Partners and Jeffrey Bell Architects, on the proposed £1billion expansion of the waterfront complex.
The first phase of MediaCity UK - also delivered by ’masterplan guardian’ Chapman Taylor - was completed six years ago and currently houses 250 businesses including the BBC, ITV and Ericsson.
The latest second stage scheme, which has been lodged with Salford City Council, features ten new buildings of which almost three quarters is earmarked for private rented sector (PRS) housing.
Backed by the Peel Group with Legal and General Capital, the development also includes a multi-storey parking, a bicycle hub and a pedestrian promenade running through the site.
Tim Partington, director at Chapman Taylor, said the massive scheme would help ’boost the Northern Powerhouse’, adding: ‘Phase two of MediaCity UK will bring a new residential community supported by high quality public realm, leisure and retail facilities, ensuring that the development is a sustainable urban neighbourhood and an exemplar for the 21st century.’
As well as the new homes, the plans also feature a ‘crystalline’ 17-storey office tower designed by Sheppard Robson.
Describing the design of the 35,000m² block, a spokesman for the practice said: ‘The building’s distinctive shape has been designed to negotiate its complex urban setting, with the crystalline form – which changes depending on the angle it’s viewed from – creating varying sizes of flexible floorplate.’
AHR is working on two waterside apartment blocks with views over the Manchester Ship Canal. The first of these, The Lightbox, is due to start construction in early 2017 subject to planning.
The plans are expected to be considered by Salford City Council’s planning panel in September.
Who is doing what?
- Chapman Taylor (masterplan guardian and co-ordinator), designers for plots C3 / offices, C6 / residential & retail and D4 / parking, live-work apartments, studio offices, bike hub, site-wide plant.
- Sheppard Robson – B5 / landmark Grade A offices and retail
- Jeffrey Bell – C4 / live-work apartments / studio offices & resi , C5 / public Market Hall
- Hodder + Partners – D3 / studio offices, apartments , multi-storey parking
- 5plus – D5 / retail, leisure, apartments
- AHR – C1, D1 / residential, retail
- Gillespies – Landscape architect
- NJL Consulting – planning consultants
MediaCityUK, Salford map - phasing