Bob Chapman, a founding partner of global practice Chapman Taylor and co-designer of New Scotland Yard, has died, aged 89
Born in 1926, Chapman studied architecture at Trinity College, Cambridge, before setting up in practice in London’s Trafalgar Square with John Taylor (1928-1999) and Jane Durham in 1959.
Chapman was closely involved in the firm’s impressive first commission, a major new headquarters building for the Metropolitan Police Service. The force moved into the Miesian building in Victoria Road, Westminster – which became known as New Scotland Yard – in 1967.
He went on to work on a number of other significant schemes, including The Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge, The Diamond Quarter Headquarters building in Charterhouse Street and the Crutched Friars offices in the City of London.
Chapman also directed the firm’s expansion into the emerging shopping centre sector and worked on its first retail projects – the American-style mall Eldon Square, in Newcastle (1976) and the West One centre in Oxford Street, built during the 1980s.
Under Chapman, Durham and Taylor the practice thrived and reached 650 staff by the mid-1980s. Though the AJ100 practice has since contracted to a workforce of about 400, it now has 19 offices across the world, including offices in Shanghai, Dubai, São Paulo, Paris and Bristol.
Chapman’s last project was a new headquarters for Pearl Assurance in Peterborough. He retired in 1993.
The architect died peacefully at home on Boxing Day.