In December last year, the practice was told to go back to the drawing board when the budget for the revamp of the famous grade II*-listed music venue was slashed ( ajplus 05.12.05).
Now it looks like the £20 million competition-winning scheme is firmly back on track thanks to today's cash injection, which adds to the £2.6 million already pledged by the National Lottery.
The long-awaited development, which is finally due to go before the planning committee next Wednesday, will retain the existing hall building and create a new foyer on the site of a neighbouring office block.
The designs for the hall, which was built in 1890 and has been burnt down twice, include a glass facade finished in brass-look metal cladding.
Bristol City Councillor Simon Cook said the money would make a significant contribution to the future of the city's music industry and the arts.
'When this new foyer building is completed, the hall will stand out as one of the great music venues in the UK but it will also be able to play an even greater role in developing local talent and the stars of the future,' he said.
The building is due to open its doors to the public in 2008.