The AJ can reveal the seven practices battling it out for the title of AJ100 Sustainable Practice of the Year
The list includes Architype, the winner of the award in both 2015 and 2016, whose £11 million hospice in Hereford was recently shortlisted for an RIBA West Midlands Award.
Also among the finalists are Foster + Partners – praised for its brick-built China Resources University in Shenzhen, China – and Jestico + Whiles, which has been receiving plaudits for its carbon-neutral, energy-efficient House 19 in Amersham, Buckinghamshire.
Fairhursts Design Group, the architect behind the carbon-neutral GlaxoSmithKline Laboratory in Nottingham and Avanti Architects, whose Trumpington Community College in Cambridge has been rated BREEAM Excellent, join them in the running for the annual ‘green’ accolade.
The shortlist is completed by David Morley Architects for its overhaul of a run-down hotel at 119 Ebury Street in central London, turning it into three high-end rental properties, and NPS Group for Carrowbreck Meadow, 14 Passivhaus homes in Norwich.
The winner will be announced at the annual AJ100 gala dinner on Wednesday 14 June at the Tower of London.
- Architype St Michael’s Hospice, Hereford
- Avanti Architects Trumpington Community College, Cambridge
- David Morley Architects 119 Ebury Street, London
- Fairhursts Design Group GlaxoSmithKline Laboratory, Nottingham
- Foster + Partners China Resources University, Shenzhen, China
- Hamson Barron Smith/NPS Group Carrowbreck Meadow, Norwich
- Jestico + Whiles House 19, Buckinghamshire
AJ100 Sustainable Practice of the Year sponsored by