The AJ can announce the eight buildings in the running for the prestigious AJ100 Building of the Year Award
The shortlist includes New Scotland Yard by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, the refurbishment and expansion of the Bartlett by Hawkins\Brown, and Foster + Partners’ first major scheme in Manchester – its Maggie’s Centre.
Also vying for the award are the Bedales school building in Hampshire by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, the refurbishment of Kelvin Hall in Glasgow by Page\Park Architects, and Grimshaw’s renovation and expansion of Duke University West Campus Union in North Carolina, USA.
The list is completed by a sustainable school in north London by Architype, and the City of Glasgow College’s City Campus by Reiach and Hall Architects and Michael Laird Architects.
The City of Glasgow scheme is the second major project by the two practices for the college – the first, its Riverside campus, was shortlisted for this award last year, and narrowly missed out on the 2016 Stirling Prize.
The coveted AJ award is given in recognition of the finest building completed by an AJ100-listed practice in the last 12 months.
The winner will be announced at the annual AJ100 dinner on Wednesday 14 June at the Tower of London.
Last year the prize was picked up by WilkinsonEyre’s Weston Library in Oxford. The judges said the practice’s reworking of the Grade II-listed New Bodleian library ’captured the qualities of warmth and intimacy, and also of scale and grandeur’.
The Building of the Year category at the AJ100 Awards is sponsored by Graphisoft
To book tickets for this year’s AJ100 gala dinner click here
AJ100 Building of the Year 2017 shortlist in full
- The Bartlett School of Architecture, London Hawkins\Brown
- Bedales School Art and Design Building, Hampshire Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- City of Glasgow College, City Campus, Glasgow Reiach and Hall Architects and Michael Laird Architects
- Duke University West Campus Union, North Carolina, USA Grimshaw Architects
- Highgate Junior School, London Architype
- Kelvin Hall, Phase 1, Glasgow Page\Park Architects
- Maggie’s at the Robert Parfett Building, Manchester Foster + Partners
- New Scotland Yard, London Allford Hall Monaghan Morris