Dynamic and ambitious reporter sought for AJ’s digitally led newsdesk
The Architects’ Journal (AJ) has been the leading professional publication for the UK’s architects for more than 120 years.
The title has embraced the emergence of new digital platforms and continues to push boundaries in the way it provides creative intelligence for UK architects - from publishing expert news and political opinion through to competitions and tender opportunities, detailed technical information and in-depth building studies.
The AJ, which is part of the Plexus family, now needs a self-motivated, web-savvy, innovative reporter to join its dynamic news team.
The ideal candidate will be ambitious, keen to learn and have both an eye for a story and news writing experience. The AJ needs a flexible team player who is capable of covering a wide range of topics - from procurement scandals, to business and political news, to finding out who is designing the nation’s next tallest skyscraper.
The full-time role will require an ability to make contacts fast, a willingness to attend and report on events [sometimes out of hours] and an understanding about what architects need to do their job better and how they win work.
The national media often picks up stories published in the AJ and our website delivers real-time reports and reaction to the biggest issues impacting on the built environment and the profession.
The job will be based in the vibrant Shoreditch/Old Street area, famed as the Digital Hub of London and boasting a huge variety of shops, bars and restaurants.
Our offices are modern, open planned and built around a ‘dynamic working culture’ of hot-desking.
Experience of architecture and the built environment is not a requirement, though an interest in the area would be desirable.
- A driven, pro-active, news-hungry NCTJ-qualified journalist [or have equivalent experience]
- The desire to uncover the biggest stories and an interest in the social, political and economic drivers of architecture
- A stickler for accuracy, and the ability to write concise, accurate news stories on tight, digitally led deadlines - but with an interest in writing more considered, longer-form analysis style pieces as well
- A personable, outgoing individual eager to make good industry-wide, face-to-face, senior-level contacts at industry events and parties
- Willingness to learn, be flexible, work across different platforms
- Ability to gather news and promote stories on social media
- Ability to write long form, news features and web news
- Team player and good communicator, with a passion for journalism and campaigns that make a difference
Salary: commensurate with experience
Deadline: 18 March 2016
Send CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plexus is a leading international digital business information and events company.
Our products in healthcare, retail and the built environment are at the heart of the industries they connect. Through advanced digital services and live event experiences they bring together a powerful blend of people, information, insight and analysis. These networks of unmatched intelligence and influence power businesses and enable professionals to go further, faster.