The winner of this year’s AJ Small Project award has been shortlisted against a Nike-designed hijab and augmented reality game Pokemon in this year’s Design Museum Awards
Kate Darby Architects and David Connor Design’s Croft Lodge Studio restoration project in in Leominster, Herefordshire, was named alongside 12 other schemes by the likes of Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) and David Adjaye in the architecture category of the prestigious annual awards.
ZHA, which won the overall Design of the Year in 2014 for its Heydar Aliyev Center in Baku, Azerbaijan, has been nominated this year for its Port House, a dramatic glass extension added to a disused fire station in Antwerp’s docks.
Adjaye Associates makes the list with its design for the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington DC.
This year’s Serpentine Pavilion designer Francis Kéré also makes the cut for his Lycée Schorge Secondary School in Koudougou, Burkina Faso.
In other categories, a year of political turmoil is represented through Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain Campaign, support posters for Jeremy Corbyn and the Pussyhat worn by protesters in the USA following sexist comments made by President Donald Trump.
The judging panel includes Amanda Levete, founder and principal of AL_A.
A winner will be selected in each category and one overall winner will be announced on 25 January next year.
- Mrs Fan’s Plug-In House by People’s Architecture Office
- Warka Water by Arturo Vittori
- Hegnhuset, memorial and learning centre on Utøya, Norway, by Blakstad Haffner Architects
- Wind and Rain Bridge by Donn Holohan with students from the University of Hong Kong and Peitian Community Craftsmen
- Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington DC by Adjaye Associates, The Freelon Group, Davis Brody Bond, SmithGroupJJR
- Sala Beckett Theatre and International Drama Centre by Flores & Prats
- The Calais Builds Project by Gráinne Hassett with migrants living in the Calais Jungle and students of Architecture from the University of Limerick
- Croft Lodge Studio by Kate Darby Architects and David Connor Design
- Lycée Schorge Secondary School by Kéré Architecture
- Weltsadt- Refugees’ Memories and Futures as Models
- The Environmental Enhancement of the Five Dragons Temple by Urbanus
- Port House by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Il Fondaco Tedeschi, Venice by OMA