Set in the context of Henry T Hare's 1908 university buildings, the psychology building was required by planning to have a 45degrees pitched and slated roof.The three storeys and basement are constructed of concrete columns at 6m centres supporting concrete floors with exposed soffits as ceilings - and a truss roof structure resting on 152 x 152mm steel beams. The three upper floors consist of cellular lecturers' rooms on each side of a central corridor.
Two rows of slatted Iroko balconies set within a frame of Sto-rendered concrete sheer walls and fascia, form the south west facade. The balconies are suspended from the edge of the roof truss by 115mm diameter CHSs; they shade the rooms behind which are fully glazed with a Velfac curtain wall system.
The slates are divided at the ridge with a continuous Coxdome rooflight, articulated on each side with a lead upstand secured with stainless-steel brackets and fixings to cope with severe exposure conditions - wind speeds up to 48m/second.
The upstand incorporates a pathway for ventilation.
Shallow lead shoulders at the rooflight abutments are fitted with cable safety-harnesses and are wide enough to be walked on for maintenance.
At each end of the building the rendered gables terminate with chimney-like stacks, flashed and dressed with lead; the south-eastern stack acts as a ventilation flue.
At the eaves a pair of lead flashings, with ventilation gap between, trim the top edge of the rendered fascia.
The rooflight sits above a lightwell 1350mm wide and about 8m deep, which lights the central corridor; its plasterboard reveals are set back so that the rooflight appears to float above them.