Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Victory for campaign to save Spence-Webster bungalow

  • Comment

Campaigners have welcomed Camden Council’s decision to reject plans to demolish two Spence + Webster-designed bungalows in north London

On Thursday last week (17 March), the council’s planning committee voted unanimously against plans by PAPA Architects to redevelop the site of 2c & 2d Belsize Park Gardens.

If approved, the scheme would have spelt the end of the two 1970s structures which were designed and lived-in by Robin Spence and Robin Webster of Spence + Webster Architects.

There was 126 objections to the proposal which aimed to build two, Portland Stone-clad ‘family’ houses on the site.

In August last year (see below) Robin Spence called on architects to back his appeal against John Penrose’s decision to refuse listing for the two bungalows. Though that campaign failed, the local authority’s planning committee has effectively spared the homes from destruction - at least for the time being.

Spence said: ‘Camden Council rejected unanimously the planning applications to demolish the two single-storey courtyard houses at 2c and 2d Belsize Park Gardens and to redevelop the site with two much larger family houses.

‘There were 126 objectors to the application and three supporters. We are waiting for Camden to send their report of the meeting. I have no idea what the owners are planning to do next.’

PAPA Architects refused to comment.

Papa Architects proposals for 2c and d Belsize Park Gardens

Papa Architects’ proposals for 2c and d Belsize Park Gardens

Previous story (20.08.10)

Spence calls for bungalows listing appeal

Robin Spence has called on architects to back his appeal against John Penrose’s decision to refuse listing two north London bungalows.

The structures at 2c & 2d Belsize Park Gardens, designed and lived-in by Robin Spence and Robin Webster of Spence + Webster Architects, are threatened with demolition.

A letter on behalf of John Penrose, architecture minister, earlier this month refused to list the structures, rejecting English Heritage advice.

Fans of the 1970s buildings have 17 days left to appeal the decision.  Spence is lobbying for more time and has urged architects to show their support by completing and submitting a DCMS listing review request form.

‘We’re bewildered,’ said Spence. ‘We thought it was just a question of rubber stamping, but for some reason the minister chose to dismiss the evidence.’

Spence said: ‘The only argument against them was that a roof-edge detail had been modified.’ His campaign has so far rallied the support of Richard Rogers, Peter Palumbo and steel-frame building specialist Neil Jackson.

PAPA architects were commissioned to win planning permission for the redevelopment of the site.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs

AJ Jobs