Robin Lee Architecture’s Wexford County Council Headquarters and 6a Architects’ South London Gallery are finalists in this year’s Civic Trust Awards
More from: 6a nominated for prestigious Schelling prize
The two projects by small practices are among the 52 schemes shortlisted for the prestigious design awards.
Hawkins\Brown’s Corby Cube and John Lyall Architects’ Pudding Mill Lane Pumping Station in London are others in the running.
Now more than 60 years old, the Civic Trust Awards recognise outstanding contributions to the quality and appearance of the built environment.
Both Will Alsop’s Michael Faraday Community School in Southwark, London and Gareth Hoskins’ National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh were shortlisted.
International projects included John McAslan + Partners’ Haiti Iron Market and Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners Las Arenas bullring conversion project in Barcelona, Spain.
A newly established Selwyn Goldsmith Award for Universal Design recognising accessible buildings has four finalists. They are Lewis & Hickey’s Westfield Folk House in Mansfield, Feilden Clegg Bradley’s Chelsea Academy in London, Petersen Williams’ Priory Church in Wales and University of Wales, Newport by BDP.
The winners will be announced on 2 March at The Hub in Edinburgh during a ceremony presented by TV presenter and architect George Clarke.
Civic Trust Awards managing director Malcolm Hankey: ‘I would like to take this opportunity to thank our local assessor teams, all of whom volunteer for the role and give up their valuable time to assist us with the judging process.
‘All domestic projects are visited and assessed on their architectural excellence, sustainability credentials, accessibility for all users and positive civic contribution. Once again, the judging process has been rigorous and all the finalists thoroughly deserve their success.’
- Harpa Concert Hall, Reykjavik Iceland by Henning Larsen
- Hospice Djursland, Denmark by C. F. Moller Architects
- Royal Conservatory TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning, Toronto, Canada by Marianne McKenna
- Stanislavsky Factory, Moscow, Russia by John McAslan + Partners
- The Iron Market, Port-au-Prince, Haiti by John McAslan + Partners
- Klong Toey Community Lantern, Bangkok, Thailand by TYIN tegnestue Architect
- Las Arenas, Barcelona, Spain by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
- National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland by Gareth Hoskins Architects Limited
- The Scotsman Steps, Edinburgh, Scotland by Haworth Tompkins
- The Hepworth Wakefield, Wakefield, Yorkshire by David Chipperfield Architects
- Saxton, Leeds, Yorkshire by Union North
- Brockholes Visitor Centre, Preston, Lancashire by Adam Khan Architects
- Plaza Super Cinema, Stockport, Cheshire by Brock Carmichael Architects
- Cockermouth Shopfront Heritage Grant Scheme, Allerdale, Cumbria by Red Raven Design, Green Design Group & Day Cummings
- Crewe YMCA, Crewe by Terence O’Rourke Ltd.
- Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, Cardiff, Wales by BFLS
- University of Wales, Newport, Newport, Wales by BDP
- Priory Church in Wales Primary School, Powys, Wales, Petersen Williams
- The Royal Shakespeare and Swan Theatres Transformation, Stratford-on-Avon by Bennetts Associates Architects
- Zero Carbon House, Birmingham by John Christophers
- Wem Town Hall, Shropshire by Baart Harries Newall
- Corby Cube, Corby, Northamptonshire by Hawkins\Brown
- Westfield Folk House, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire by Lewis & Hickey Architects
- Arc and The Apex, Bury St Edmunds by Hopkins Architects Partnership LLP
- Sainsbury Laboratory, Cambridge, Cambridge by Stanton Williams
- H10 London Waterloo, Southwark by Maccreanor Lavington
- Hackney Marshes Centre, Hackney by Stanton Williams
- Michael Faraday Community School, Southwark by Alsop Sparch
- Prince’s Gardens: Imperial College, London Halls of Residence, Kensington & Chelsea by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (International) PA
- Pudding Mill Lane Pumping Station, Newham by John Lyall Architects
- The Granary, Barking & Dagenham by Pollard Thomas Edwards architects
- Chelsea Academy, Kensington & Chelsea by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Crown Woods College, Greenwich by Nicholas Hare Architects LLP
- New Horizon Youth Centre, Camden by Adam Khan Architects
- Sammy Ofer Wing, Greenwich by C. F. Moller Architects
- South London Gallery, Southwark by 6a Architects
- UNISON HQ, Camden by Squire and Partners
- Kendrew Quadrangle, Oxford by MJP Architects
- The Longest Bench, Littlehampton, Arun by Studio Weave
- University of Winchester’s Performing Arts Faculty Studios, Winchester by Design Engine Architects Ltd.
- Gosport Railway Station, Hampshire by Re-Format
- Splash Point, Worthing by craft:pegg
- Turner Contemporary, Margate, Kent by David Chipperfield Architects
- Warrior Square Gardens, Southend-on-Sea by Gillespies
- Watts Gallery, Guildford by ZMMA
- Forest Park Special School, Southampton by Hampshire County Council Property Services
- The Holburne Museum of Art, Bath by Eric Parry Architects
- Maggie’s Centre, Cheltenham by MJP Architects
- The Triangle, Swindon by Glenn Howells Architects
- Horsley Church 3 in 1, Gloucestershire by Millar+Howard Workshop
- Lyric Theatre Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland by O’Donnell + Tuomey Architects
- Wexford County Council Headquarters, Co.Wexford, Republic of Ireland by Robin Lee Architecture in association with Arthur Gibney & Partners
Robin Lee and 6a Architects land places on Civic Trust Awards shortlist