Your editorial, 'Spitalfields and the persuasive power of online protest' (AJ 16/23.8.01), suggests that e-mail campaigns may be 'simply an irresponsible means of whipping up illconsidered discontent'.
You may be right. I urge AJ readers to sign the following 10-point transport petition at www. martian. fm/petition. htm 1. Renationalise all railway lines, trains, rolling stock and stations.
2. Hand over to the unions all rail management duties - including staffing levels, farepricing, safety procedures, workers' rights and wages.
3. Take back into public ownership all salaries, bonuses, pension payments, severance pay and bribes paid to Railtrack fat 'bastards'. They can sell their houses if necessary, and live in caravans in Morecambe.
4. Call in all Railtrack shares and make a big bonfire. Shareholders to receive no compensation. If they don't like it, they can go and live in a caravan in Morecambe. Or go on the bonfire.
5. Impose a £15 fine on anyone attempting to leave central London.
6. All car journeys in residential areas to be in reverse.
7. All buses to have conductors.
All conductors to be cheerful, and whistle.
8. All bicycles to have three gears only, and not weave all over the place like they own the road.
9. Continental-style trams in the North, with no 'no-smoking' section.
10. Pedestrians required to pass a walking proficiency test.
NB: Please sign with a 'stupid' name, not your own. It is more motivating.
Ian Martin Lancashire