The Peter Jones store, in Chelsea, is a London landmark. Although derivative of the much-published German store designs of Eric Mendelsohn, the building (by Slater & Moberly, 1935-37) is a Modern Movement classic, elegantly turning the corner into the King's Road from Sloane Square. It is listed Grade II*. Commonly assumed to be all of one piece, Peter Jones was, in fact, built in phases, the last as late as the 1960s. The Second World War halted work - and spared the last part of the old Peter Jones store, together with a fine 1890s house by A H Mackmurdo, now incorporated into the store. The interiors are, on the whole, ordinary and, in places, cramped and inconvenient, a consequence of the extended building programme. jmp was called in to rationalise and update the building to give it a new lease of life for the 21st century, installing modern services, improving access and storage facilities, and making the upper floors more accessible and inviting. The brief was primarily commercial, recognising that this is first and foremost a shop, but also showed an awareness of the landmark value of the building. Externally, there will be only minimal changes. Inside, however, a spectacular new atrium will be created (also acting as a plenum system for extracting air and smoke) with escalator access throughout the building. Staff and shoppers will benefit from modern ventilation, better lighting and the elimination of untidy level changes on upper floors. This is a model scheme of practical conservation.
Client: John Lewis Partnership
Architect: John McAslan & Partners: Joanna Ako, Jose Aguilar-Garcia, Charlotte Anderson, Adam Brown, Umberto Emoli, Rui Grazina, Andrew Hapgood, Martin Harris, Martin Hopp, Scott Lawrie, Martin Markcrow, Ruth Miller, John McAslan, Ian McChesney, Greg McLean, Sarah Mitchell, Gemma Robinson, Gavin Smith, Murray Smith, Ryan von Ruben, Roger Wu
Structural engineer: Hurst Pierce & Malcolm
mep engineer: Troup, Bywaters
Quantity surveyor: Davis Langdon & Everest
Construction manager: Bovis