More than 800 buildings will open their doors as part of the ‘capital’s greatest architectural showcase’
This year Open House London will take place over the weekend of the 21 and 22 September.
Architects with recently completed projects can find out more about taking part in the event here.
Victoria Thornton, Founding Director of Open City comments: Open House is a unique and vibrant annual event, offering people across London the chance to explore and learn about the capital’s architecture. In 2012 87 per cent of participants said the Open House annual event was the best way see, explore and learn about the capital’s architecture.
‘This year we’re putting together a great programme of open buildings, walks, tours and talks taking in everything from award winning contemporary homes to major regeneration areas.’
Open House London 2013
Full details of buildings and events will be published in the 2013 Guide (available from mid August) and can be ordered online.
- Iconic landmarks and towers including Battersea Power Station, The View from the Shard, 30 St Mary Axe (aka the Gherkin) and Tower 42
- London’s infrastructure revealed with the Institution of Civil Engineers - including engineering walks and site visits to major construction and engineering sites
- East London Transformation – discover all about the transformation of East London and the Lea Valley with expert-led events showcasing the regeneration of areas surrounding the Olympic Park.
- Nearly 50 projects with Landscape at their heart with the Landscape Institute
- Showcase of 100 private homes, architects’ homes and groundbreaking housing developments
- Eco, zero carbon and retrofit buildings, with the chance to talk to experts, see measures in action and discover how you can implement changes in your own home
- Speak with planners, architects and engineers on how they create successful buildings and cities
- For the first time in 2013, Open Debate will be presented for the first time and will be held at the Landscape institute. The debate, titled ‘Is London Building a Sterile City’ will draw together expert opinion
- Maggie’s and Open House London ‘Culture Crawl’ on Friday 20 September – a moonlit walk through London with the opportunity to see Open House architecture and raise money for Maggie’s Cancer Centres
- Activities for kids and families, from architectural model-making to quiz trails as part of Open House Junior
- Win a weekend stay at the magnificent Lutyens-designed Bloomsbury Hotel
- Chart-topping Open House app for iphone from the appstore
- Archibus tour with Arriva – win a place on an architectural whirlwind tour by historic Routemaster bus
· Photography competition in partnership with Architects’ Journal and The Photographers’ Gallery