Johnny Rodger remembers Charles MacCallum, the head of the Mackintosh School of Architecture at Glasgow School of Art between 1994-2000, who has died aged 78
Born in 1935 Prof MacCallum had worked as a young architect at the great Glasgow modernist firm of architects Gillespie Kidd & Coia in their heyday rebuilding Scotland, from 1957-67. He later opened his own architectural practice, but it is rather as an academic and a teacher that he really made his mark here.
He took over at Mackintosh School of Architecture from his former colleague at Gillespie Kidd & Coia, Professor Andy MacMillan, having already taught in University College Dublin and having been professor at the University of Wales.
A cultured scholar with a gentle but persistently enquiring mind, he brought a complementary erudition and academic rigour to the hands-on building tradition of the Mackintosh School of Architecture.
His legacy in the school is to be found in the broad scope of its current investigations and productions. He wrote much on French and Russian architecture, including his 1991 monograph on Louis Visconti (1791-1853), the famous designer of Napoleon’s tomb, and in 2003 he was awarded the Silver Medal of the Academie d’Architecture in Paris. He is survived by his wife Andrée and their two daughters Sophie and Joelle.