Peter Moro, one of the last remaining members of the Tecton group and part of the team that designed the Royal Festival Hall, has died at the age of 87. Born in Heidelberg, and trained in Germany and Switzerland, he came to the uk in 1936 and worked with Berthold Lubetkin's Tecton Group from 1937 to 1939. He designed a screen for the mars Group exhibition of 1938 and, with Richard Llewellyn-Davies, a house at Birdham near Chichester.
From 1941 he taught at the Regent Street Polytechnic and in 1948 was invited by Leslie Martin to join the team at the lcc working on the Festival Hall. Moro was largely responsible for the interiors. He set up his own practice in 1952, which he ran until 1986, doing a mixture of arts, education and housing work. In addition to the Festival Hall, two buildings which Moro designed are listed: the Nottingham Playhouse, completed in 1964, and his own house in Blackheath completed in 1957. He was awarded the cbe in 1977.
A perceptive critic and a frequent letter-writer to the architectural magazines, Moro was capable of throwing new light on a familiar subject. He once pointed out that the Festival of Britain was not the beginning of a new era, but the end of an old one.
A full obituary will appear next week.