New Dome chief executive Pierre-Yves Gerbau has squashed rumours that he is poised to take an axe to many of the under-performing Dome zones.
The New Millennium Experience Company (nmec), which has hired public relations firm Brunswick in the wake of last week's sacking of former chief executive Jennie Page, said former Disney man Gerbau met the 1000 staff and sponsors on Monday but would not be altering content. He sees it as unnecessary and says 'it's not about getting rid of things, it's about making a success of it.' Gerbau said he wanted to make the Dome the 'hottest ticket in town,' and was looking forward to being involved in the 'most exciting entertainment project in Europe today.'
'It is a remarkable project both as a structure and for its innovative content' he said. Whether Gerbau's plans will involve the much-speculated cuts in ticket pricing arrangements or augmenting attractions with new features before an Easter relaunch, the nmec would not say.
Page, who for many has been a scapegoat for the poor attendance figures at the Dome, 'resigned' from her position, according to the nmec. Press reports said she had been axed after zone sponsors grew dissatisfied with their names being linked with such a high-profile failure. Page is a former chief executive of the Millennium Commission and of English Heritage from 1989-95, and will receive six months salary and an extra £50,000 in compensation. But she may yet be considering legal action over her contract with the nmec. Thirty-four-year old Gerbau is on a £100,000 basic salary and was formerly at Disneyland Paris.