London based architects MUMA (Mclnnes Usher Mcknight Architects) have completed a new £30 million medieval and renaissance gallery at the V&A museum
The new galleries, which open on the 2 December, have taken seven years to complete and are comprised of 10 new gallery spaces occupying the entire south east wing of the Museum. The 3,200m² completed space will display 1,800 objects from the rare medieval and renaissance collection.
The existing 1909 Aston Webb rooms have been reconfigured into ten new inter-linked galleries, featuring a central orientation space with floating stairs and lift linking all floors of the museum for the first time. This space also incorporates the Bonita Trust study area and a relaxation zone.
Structural glass beams, spanning up to 9m have been used to create a new day-lit gallery with translucent undulating roof providing natural lighting to the new artifacts on display.
Selected by the V&A in 2003, MUMA are responsible for both architecture and the design of displays in the medieval and renaissance galleries, and have designed display cases that allow an uninterrupted view of the room, using matching limestone for the bases as the plinths and floors.
MUMA previously worked with the V&A to create a new café in the Morris Poynter and Gamble rooms.