Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

MJP wins planning for west London hostel

  • Comment

MJP Architects has won the go-ahead for this new hostel for LHA London, in Harrow Road near Paddington, west London

Work on the 5,300m² ‘micro-flat’ scheme is expected to start before the end of the year.

The practice has previously worked with the charity - formerly the London Hostels Association - on the award-winning Friendship House in Southwark (2003).


The architect’s view

The design promotes community life by placing social spaces and shared facilities - such as laundr and study areas - in the circulation ‘hotspots’, near lifts and stairs. They are designed to animate both the life of the building and its architecture.

The building will have magnificent views over London but has to mitigate the effects of a hostile local environment next to the M40 motorway; high road noise levels and air pollution. Off-site fabrication is being used as far as possible to speed up construction on a constrained urban site.

LHA London is a charity which provides accommodation at reasonable cost for working people and students. Most residents are between the ages of 18 and 30 and stay while they get established in London.

There is strong demand in this user group for rooms which are a step up from conventional student accommodation and 80 per cent are therefore designed as ‘microflats’ with a larger floor area, their own kitchenettes and shower rooms. The other 20 per cent share kitchens.


Project data

Architects:  MJP Architects 
Location:  Torquay Street, London 
Type Of Project: Hostel; approx 40 per cent students and 60 per cent young working people 
Project  Director: Jeremy Estop 
Client:  LHA London (charity)
Funding:  LHA 
Tender date:  Spring 2012 
Start on site date:   Late 2012
Contract duration: not yet confirmed
Gross internal floor area:  5,376m² 
Form of contract and/or procurement:  traditional 
Total cost:   not yet tendered
Structural Engineers:  Price and Myers        
M&e consultant:  Michael Popper Associates 
Quantity surveyor:   Appleyards 
Planning supervisor: MSafe 
Lighting consultant:  none 
Main contractor:  not yet appointed 


  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.