Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

LIGHTS CAUSE A SPLASH

  • Comment

The lighting system at a two-yearold south Hertfordshire leisure centre is to be replaced after developing serious faults. Newcastlebased FaulknerBrowns has been asked to look for a new lighting system for the £18 million leisure complex, The Venue, in Borehamwood. Last month a light fitting, about the size of a basketball, plunged into the centre's pool after an electrical explosion in the ceiling forced its casing to shear off its mountings.Nobody was hurt in the incident. The centre's owner and operator, Hertsmere Borough Council, paid £35,000 to fix the lights, which could be reached only by demolishing a wall. But later in the month the system, by Italian company Reggiani Lighting, developed another fault and was switched off for good. A council spokesman said: 'We are awaiting a comprehensive report from the architect on the possible causes of failure.' The council has yet to decide whether it will ask the architect or the centre's builder, HBG Construction Southern, to foot the bill for the new lights.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.