THE BANQUETING HOUSE, WHITEHALL
The Banqueting House is the only part of the Palace of Whitehall, designed by Inigo Jones in 1619, to survive the Great Fire of London. Donald Insall Associates' commission to replan and upgrade the undercroft and entrance hall involved refurbishing the wcs to reveal the imposing vaulting of the undercroft, an effect achieved by using partially etched glass infill panels at the tops of partitions above the springing of the arches. Good- quality materials - slate flooring, granite tops to vanitory units, veneered joinery and brass fittings - impart an appropriate sense of richness to these essential but uncelebrated spaces in one of London's finest architectural treasures.
ARCHITECT Donald Insall Associates
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER SB Tietz & Partners
SERVICES CONSULTANT Peter Lawson-Smith Associates
CONTRACTOR John Lelliotts Construction
wc bowls Trent Bathrooms, disabled wc Caradon Twyford, urinals Shaws of Darwen, wall paint finish Classidur, floor Delabole Slate, raised false floors Microfloor Systems, bathroom fittings Aston Matthews, joinery Carlton Benbow Contracts, lighting Marlin Lighting, dry-wall partitions Fels Werke, sandblasted glass T&W Ide, Purbeck stone supplier W J Hayson