Hawkins\Brown has won this year’s AJ120 Employer of the Year accolade
The winner of Employer of the Year in 2013 has once again taken the accolade this year having greatly impressed the judges, who liked its diverse workforce, wide range of work, ‘amazing’ office trips and the sense that the practice does not appear too ‘personality-driven’.
Hawkins\Brown is piloting an 80/20 resource model borrowed from Google which encourages staff to work a four-day week on core project work and the remaining one day on other more innovative, creative or collaborative endeavours.
Judges felt this would inevitably result in staff experiencing variety of work and job satisfaction.
One judge said, ‘They have a vision. They’re consciously investing time and resource in developing expertise in other areas, not all of them traditional architectural hunting grounds.’
Candidates are shortlisted on the basis of evidence in the survey that demonstrates staff satisfaction, workplace culture, benefits and staff turnover. Each practice is visited before the winner is chosen.
The shortlist in full
- Assael Architecture
- CareyJones ChapmanTolcher
- LOM Architecture and Design
- LSI Architects
- Make Architects
- Robin Partington & Partners
- Adrian Dobson, director of practice, RIBA
- Will Hurst, AJ deputy editor
- Olivia Mudie, head of new business and marketing, Bespoke Careers
- Paulo Pimentel, creative director, Imagination
- Lindsay Urquhart, founding director, Bespoke Careers
Hawkins\Brown wins AJ120 Employer of the Year