This high street building is in multiple retail and office occupation. The visible structure includes filler-joists, riveted plate stanchions, stretcher bond brickwork, rhs stanchions, lightweight concrete blocks, and stainless steel lintels.
A challenge to unravel (see chronology chart on left); the local authority's archives confirmed that the building was designed as a Gaumont cinema by architect W E Trent. It opened in 1936, closed in 1961, and was largely demolished to create a department store around 1962, with parts of the facade and back-of -house retained. It was altered and sub-divided in 1995 for its present use.