Glenn Howells Architects’ Eleven Brindleyplace scheme has won the main prize at this year’s British Council for Offices’ (BCO) national awards
The 12-storey mixed-use building in Birmingham, which has an Excellent BREEAM rating, won the Best of the Best and Best Commercial Workplace award.
An eco-friendly roof and ‘brise soleil’ solar shading are among its sustainability features.
BDP’s PriceWaterhouseCoopers in Glasgow (Best Fit-out of Workplace), Artillery Architecture and Interior Design’s Graeae Theatre Company in London (Best Project up to 2,000m2) and BDP’s West Lothian Civic Centre in Livingston (Innovation Award) completed the list of winners.
BCO chief executive Richard Kauntze said: ‘We have seen some exceptional award entries this year, particularly among the regions. It is clear that the coming cuts in public spending will undoubtedly hit some parts of the country much harder than others, so introducing tax incentives, alternative financing options and investing in new infrastructure and technology will help to drive recovery and generate growth.’
John Forrester, head of UK & Ireland at DTZ, and BCO awards chairman, said: ‘Eleven Brindleyplace sets an impressive benchmark for new office development not only in the Midlands but nationally. It is undoubtedly a standout project and its success is down to the integrity of the design and strength of partnership between Argent, the developer, and Glen Howells Architects, the designer.’
Three-quarters of BCO’s members fear regional recovery may be hit by public service cuts while 67 per cent claim they will have a negative impact on innovation, according to a survey.
· Best Commercial Workplace: Glenn Howells Architects’ Eleven Brindleyplace, Birmingham (also winner of the Best of the Best award)
· Best Corporate Workplace: Dixon Jones’ Guardian News & Media, Kings Place, London
· Best Refurbished/Recycled Workplace: The Fairhursts Design Group’s Broad Gate, 22-26 The Headrow, Leeds
· Best Fit-out of Workplace: BDP’s PricewaterhouseCoopers, 141 Bothwell Street, Glasgow
· Best Project up to 2,000m2: Artillery Architecture and Interior Design’s Graeae Theatre Company, 138 Kingsland Road, London
· Innovation Award: BDP’s West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston