The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) is to takeover the city’s McLellan Galleries as part of plans to integrate the B-listed, 19th century building into its existing Garnethill campus
The £20million project, which has been masterplanned by Page\Park Architects, aims to ‘return the building to its place at the heart of Glasgow’s creative and cultural life’.
The decision by Glasgow City Council to grant the GSA a 95-year lease of the building - starting from September 2015 - allows the school to begin the process of finding architects to work on detailed designs for the redevelopment.
Early proposals include building a new central courtyard and exhibition space, providing a public route through thegallery from Sauchiehall Street to the GSA’s newly developed precinct between the Mackintosh, Reid and Bourdon Buildings on Renfrew Street.
Professor Tom Inns,director of The Glasgow School of Art said ‘The GSA occupied McLellan Galleries for 30 years from 1869 before moving into purpose-designed accommodation at 167 Renfrew street – The Mackintosh Building. 100 years later, our plans and investment in the Galleries will bring them back to life and secure their long-term future for both the school and the city.’
‘Page\Park’s conceptual proposal is two-fold and imaginative - to remove the central gallery down to ground level to create a new central covered courtyard around which the ground floor rooms, mezzanine floor and upper level galleries wrap, bringing light in to the heart of the building at all levels and a roof-top extension to the north providing additional space with a new façade on to Renfrew Street providing access to all floors, views of the Mackintosh and Reid Buildings and a new entrance on to Renfrew Street.’
Glasgow School of Art to take over city's McLellan Galleries