Foster and Partners' library for the London School of Economics has opened its doors to students. The £30 million building is now the base for a new research laboratory incorporating five of the school's research centres. A formal opening ceremony is planned for late this year. Work began on the project in September 1999. The building, originally built as a warehouse for WH Smith in 1916 and bought by the LSE in 1978, has been transformed by the addition of a new floor and a spiral ramp stretching up five storeys to a glass dome. The building has also been cleaned and new windows have been installed.