Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Faulty TV to blame for Lakanal House fire

  • Comment

A fire in a south London tower block, which killed six people was caused by an electrical fault, according to initial findings

The blaze in Camberwell started in a portable television believed to be at least 10 years old, said police.

‘Initial results have found that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault originating in a portable TV set that was at least 10 years old.

‘The make and model of the TV have not been confirmed so we will not speculate. It was in a room on the ninth floor.’

According to a BBC London investigation, Southwark Council was aware the tower block was a fire risk. In 2000 the council surveyed 200 tower blocks, identifying 13 that ‘may pose a fire risk or risk of a fire spread’. Four of the 13 were demolished but Lakanal House remained inhabited.

Speaking to the AJ, architect Sam Webb said more than half of Britain’s thousands of local authority tower blocks pose a similar risk to the one in Camberwell.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.