This conversion of the 1824 Bonsall Chapel in Derbyshire deftly inserts the domestic accommodation into the shell of the Grade IIlisted building with minimal alterations to the external appearance. By keeping the edge of the new work back from the face of the old wall it has been possible to maintain the impression from outside that the three tall cast iron framed windows light an open hall. The architect has stepped down the middle section of the old hall by one half level in order to create a varied internal arrangement and provide an additional bedroom slung between two original roof trusses. Its boat hull-shaped underside dominates the interior space. Leslie Associates is the structural engineer.