The RIBA has acquired the archive of British photographer Edwin Smith (1912-71), which includes this image taken at the Villa Farnese in Caprarola, Italy in 1960. Smith originally trained as an architect before turning his attention to photography. Before his death in 1971, he had earned a considerable reputation, and provided photographs for numerous books by Thames and Hudson such as English Parish Churches (1952) and English Cottages and Farmhouses (1954). The archive donated to the RIBA consists of 80,000 images covering a wide variety of architectural and other subjects, including coal miners at Ashington Colliery, funfairs and circuses in the 1930s, Italian villas and gardens, and the patterns and textures found in nature and the man-made landscape. The donated archive will be housed at Portland Place in the newly completed archive store designed by the RIBA's house architect, Allies and Morrison.