Pupils at Princethorpe College will be able to create and perform music in a uniquely uplifting space, following the refurbishment of the private school’s Roundhouse building.
On the site of a magnificent former Benedictine monastery, set in two hundred acres of leafy Warwickshire parkland, the Roundhouse dates back to around 1835, when it is believed to have been a burial room, probably without a roof.
Enclosed to the elements at some point during its history, in recent years the unusual building had become a store room for the school, but its flat roof had fallen into disrepair and was leaking badly.
In 2011, the Roundhouse underwent a complete renovation. Project architect AT Architects removed the damaged flat roof and designed and built a new conical pitched roof with clerestory windows. AT Architects turned to Ecophon to create an acoustic solution that would look in-keeping with this elegant space, as well as suit the new purpose of the building as a place to enjoy performing and listening to music.
Soaring to six metres in height (which is the ideal height for a performance space) and with a floor area of 100 sq m, Ecophon’s Solo Circles were perfectly suited to the room’s aesthetic and acoustic requirements.
Using the ‘floating’ installation system, Ecophon Connect™ Adjustable wire-hangers allow the individual circular panels to be suspended at different heights, revealing the graceful curves of the ceiling above.
The installation of new windows circumventing the single storey space, lighting design and the carefully calculated acoustic solution, has transformed this formerly dark, leaking store room into a bright and airy space that the school can use either as a music classroom or performance venue.